
Schoenberg's got his Twelve tone scale. Serialism. Whatever. I came up with mine by accident just a few minutes ago.
Firstly, I think there's something wrong with me. I'm super slack, and I hate myself for it. I've been having weird dreams, and I woke up on Saturday morning, bright and early, with mystical fingers that played through Beethoven's Sonata G Major ( noob song I know) flawlessly, non stop. Something I'm obviously, unable to do.
Then, just now, I was all emo and stuff, when I went to the piano, closed my eyes and pressed any old weird keys and ended up with Some Japanese sounding scale. Then, I started analyzing intervals, and realised I could come up with another tone row, based on intervals.
I may call it Intervalism, but whatever. Let's look at the initial scale. Shall we?
Eb - G - A - Bb - D
It's a typical, Eb major 7th chord ( with a minor 7th and A as a passing note)
So, I realised if I calculate the intervals, the intervals between each note ( Eb and G, G and A etc) is as follows ( in respective order):
Minor 3rd
Major 2nd
Minor 2nd
Major 3rd
Which is, just a mere rearrangement of intervals. So rearranging intervals can give you scales?
Next, if we double the D:
D - Eb - G - A - Bb - D
Notice the intervals between D and A, Eb and Bb, G and D, is the same ( perfect 5th) ?
So I went to list out all the intervals ( not including compound intervals or I could go on forever):
Minor 2nd
Major 2nd
Minor 3rd
Major 3rd
Perfect 4th
Augmented 4th
Perfect 5th
Minor 6th
Major 6th
Minor 7th
Major 7th
There's ten altogether... and... I arrange it in such a way (random):
Perfect 4th
Minor 3rd
Major 6th
Perfect 5th
Major 3rd
Minor 2nd
Augmented 4th
Major 2nd
Minor 6th
Minor 7th
Major 7th
and apply it to the starting note of G (randomly picked). I get the following:
G - C - Eb - C - G - B - C - F# - G# - E - D - C#
If I ommit the repeated notes nad arrange it in ascending order... I get...
C - C# - D - Eb - E - F# - G# - B
Notice that C - C# - D - Eb - E is actually a chromatic scale? and that E - F# - G# - B is a E major chord, with F# that can be treated as a passing note?
Is this cool or what? Maybe I'm just lucky, but I realised if I had to try out all the different countless combinations to prove this thing, I'll die. So I'm just going to do this for fun. Maybe this would be a new way to compose stuff. With self - created scales. Like Schoenberg. HAH. So anyway, this really seems pointless since in no way it links back to the weird Jap sounding scale. Ok anyway. Have fun making your own scales. Happy to share this with you. Ciao. I'm having back to school symptoms by the way.
AOI

