
Hello folks.
I know it’s kind of abnormal for me to blog so frequently and all, but recently I have realised that I CAN do quite a good job at writing if I am really inspired / feel strongly about it. So I’m going to practice my use of vocabulary, sentence structures and such with the following post. And, in the event that you feel that I’m referring to/ targeting any persons in particular, I have no intention of doing so, so let’s keep it that way.
RIght, so for this post, it mainly revolves around teachers. Either keep on reading, or leave now.
Lately, I’ve observed that the Government is trying to lure more people into the Teaching Profession. Not to say that it is a bad thing, but the quote “Teaching is the only profession that teaches other professions” is kind of presenting a much too ideal version of the job, so please don’t fall for it. Because, in the past decade of my education, I could not help but realise that approximately 85% of the teachers I come into contact to, are truly annoying in various ways. As such, I kind of feel indignant for those who are actually doing an exceptional job in educating, as well as caring for the well-being of the next generation… which, will play an extremely important role in moulding the Singapore of the future.
You see, the problem lies in the fact that these so called “teachers” have little, or NO PASSION for their job. To put it bluntly, they are simply here because
Often, because of their lack of passion, perhaps coupled with some not-up-to-standard qualities, students end up having to SUFFER. And I really do not think that is fair. I didn’t, you know, pay you to let my child suffer, such that you can satisfy your perverted sadist tendencies?! Speaking about perverted sadist tendencies, this brings me to my next point, about how I absolutely detest teachers who abuse their authority.
Seriously, alright, I do agree that there must be a certain amount of respect we must show you, since well, you will be the ones passing down your superb knowledge (if it is even superb to begin with). But still, I don’t think you have the right to you know, do certain things “just because you are a teacher”. I understand to an extent, disciplinary action MUST be taken when students commit offences and such, but still there is a limit to that. So um, I missed the deadline of submitting work by like one day, are you seriously going to make me face the wall, pull my ears, slap myself, (whatever) in front of the entire class, destroying whatever self-esteem and passion for learning that I still have in the process? Also, a more concrete example would be the use of handphones in class. You forbid students to sms in class, while you are allowed to answer an “important” call “just because you’re a teacher” The first thing wrong with that, would be double standards. Which is to say, if I had an important call, regardless of whether I’m a teacher I can answer it? Secondly, you are not being a good role model to begin with. Students (especially kids) learn by modelling after adults. I’m sorry if your life sucks because you are having such a hard time stopping students from using their phones in class. You kind of really only have yourself (and/or you impassionate colleague) to blame. Thirdly, is the fact that authority, can seldom justify your actions. Stating that you can do such things because you’re a teacher, is like saying I can take over the world because I’m a President. Sounds convoluted? you bet.
The next point I would like to touch on, is the responsibility of these teachers. Several of them take up too many commitments in the school just because they have to, or they want to seem more all-rounded. Of course, this touches the sensitive issue of CCA teachers. I understand that many are possibly forced to be in charge of a CCA and take care of several administrative matters, but point is, since you’re already there, you might as well do your best, make something good out of it, and if possible, gain some experience and skillz from it right? I mean, you would be really stupid to just waste this opportunity and be present, mark stuff and waste your time. To me, it’s kind of like students trying to complete work from other subjects in a certain lecture. And next, do you really think it’s acceptable for you to just sit around, and take care of admin stuff when your students are training and practicing so hard? I’m not saying you should treat them to a buffet when they obtain a gold or something (though that would be nice, lol), but the least you could do is to make yourself useful by being a source of motivation, and if possible, provide some advice.
Ok, I’m coming to the end of this post. The last thing, I would like to bring into the discussion, is how most teachers always have this mentality that they are right ALL of the time, and refuse to admit it when they’re wrong. Ok it’s true that teachers are right most of the time, after all, how could you be hired to teach a bunch of nitwits if you get all your facts wrong? You would just be a nitwit teaching nitwits to be even more nitwit-ish. But, I don’t see what’s so bad about admitting your wrongs, when well, it’s really a mistake. Ultimately, though, I guess this all boils down to the “authority” portion. Some teachers just get so ballooned up with pride that their head is the size of the moon, and they just cannot accept the fact that they are wrong. Which is just childish. As cliché as it is, it is true that everyone makes mistakes, whether you are a teacher, a CEO or a commoner.
Ok to sum up, I feel extremely bad for the teachers who are actually making teaching a profession to look forward, and look up to. It is also rather inspiring to know there are those out there itching and willing to share their knowledge, and nurture the next generation. As for those teachers who are just not passionate enough… I don’t even know if you deserve to be called “teachers”

